Friday, March 20, 2009

About my artwork

My beadwork ranges from small brooches of seastars, jellyfish, ravens, and figures with limpet shell faces, to 9" or 13" long bead-covered kayaks that I make from basswood, to elaborate beaded purses, framed beaded "environments" with figures, and larger wallhangings. I sew glass beads individually to fabric, and use a variety of fabrics with different textures.

Painting and drawing  Acrylic paintings, colored pencil drawings, pen and ink.  I paint detailed acrylic designs on hard plastic buoys, and acylic paintings on wood with mirrors.



My work can be found in the following Alaska shops:
Artist Cove Gallery, 241 Lincoln,  Sitka
Sitka Rose Gallery,  419 Lincoln, Sitka
Sitka Sound Science Center 834 Lincoln, Sitka
Scanlon Gallery, 318 Mission, Ketchikan
Annie Kaill's Gallery, 244 Front St. Juneau
Lisas Art Shop, Hoonah

I work as a Protected Species Observer for a marine construction company in many towns in Alaska.  I do drawings of the crew, mostly in colored pencil.  I find  "working people to be good subjects.  The company made a calendar in 2021 of my crew drawings.


2 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting Laura when she came to visit and bird in Patzcuaro, Mexico. I have seen some of her cards and a sample of beadwork, and they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had the pleasure of meeting Laura when she led a bird watching trip in Ketchikan Alaska. I stopped by the Exploration Gallery and saw her beautiful beadwork and paintings. They are muy bonito.

    ReplyDelete